Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida
Undergraduate University & Major: University of South Florida – Psychology Major
GCSW Degree Sought: MSW
Anticipated graduation date: December 2016
Classes completed/currently enrolled:
- Foundation Practice
- Family Violence
- Managing Human Services Organizations
- Advanced Social Policy Analysis
- CBI and BTI
- Grant Writing
- International SW: Study Abroad (United Kingdom)
- Clinical Practice with Elders
- Human Trafficking
- Drugs in Society
First field placement:
Open Door Mission, January 2015-July 2015.
- Assist with evaluating components of the Open DoorWay Homeless and Substance Abuse Program by creating questionnaires and assessing client feedback.
- Provide case management and resource allocation to clients needing assistance.
- Serve as an after-hours support liaison for clients.
- Maintain and generate data collected by the Open Door Program Director (HMIS and other systems).
- Analyze client data and identify patterns. Assist with development and implementation of Alumni and Intern-Liaison program.
Second field placement: N/A
Harris County Institute of Forensic Science June 2016-December 2016
- Attend death scenes with VAS and Forensic Investigator
- Search and notify possible family/next of kin on tracking sheet cases
- Communicate and explain the process the decedent and family will go through during their contact with HCIFS
- Assist with dispatching volunteer chaplains to perform death notifications
- Conduct follow-up calls and offer grief resources
- Maintain call back list daily
Activities and/or Organizations:
- GCSW Student Ambassador
- Isla Carroll Turner Scholarship
- International Education Fee Scholarship
Why social work?
The concept and values of Social Work embody who I am as an individual and there is no other career path that I would want to take. My passion has always been to help any and all that may need a helping hand, and promoting social justice for all. Since a young boy, I have always been an advocate for what is right and fair and I often faced quite a bit of adversity because of my different perspectives. Social Work allows me the opportunity to approach and interact with many different people daily, which to me is the basis and beauty of life. Social Work affords me the opportunity to ultimately “Be the Change I want to see!”